Monday, November 15, 2010

Late fall color at home and journal

It is surprising how long the fall colors have lasted in spite of some storms and cooler weather. Pictured are one of our flowering Pears, the last Peace and Love roses, and our Hawthorn tree.

We put in our normal double shift at the Provo temple on Thursday and did our usual other temple session on Wednesday afternoon. Wendy also substituted on the early morning shift Friday and
did an endowment session after.

I spent quite a lot of time continuing work on the index for the Guy Lewis records that we scanned while still in NC. As I index, I also take a close look at the materials. There is an overwhelming amount of information, occasionally something new of considerable interest, and more often puzzles as to where he got the information, why he interpreted it as he did, what is based on fact and what is based on supposition, etc. I am listing and describing unresolved contradictions as I find them. It sure reminds me of the importance for researchers to leave a clear trail for those who follow about how they reached their conclusions.

This week we started exploring the purchase of a new or newer car to replace our faithful old Town & Country (which is approaching 185,00 miles). We went to some dealers, saw several nice cars, and are finding ourselves still not quite knowing what we really want or need.

I volunteered for a Scouting Committee assignment in the ward yesterday , to be over advancement for the ward programs. I think I will enjoy having a meaningful scouting role again that puts me in contact with the young men with something that comes easy and that I can handle physically. I also attended yesterday the monthly stake Aaronic Priesthood/Unit Commissioners meeting and am still not quite sure what they are up to or what they want of me other than to carry messages to the 12th ward.


We have enjoyed watching (parts of ) five Utah Jazz games this past week in which they have won each won each with big come-backs, the last four while on the road with against tough teams in the Eastern Conference. The most improbable and exciting was the game with Miami Heat in which Millsap, in the last 37 seconds of th game, hit 3 3-pointers plus had a rebound put-back that sent the game into overtime (with 46 points total). We also followed the ups-and-downs of the football Cougars and Utes. BYU is finally rolling and blew out CSU to improve their record to 5-5, while the Utes couldn’t find any offense at Notre Dame and lost their second in a row after starting the season at 8-0.

We had the BYU grandchildren for dinner last night–Andrew and Britain, Staci, Heidi along with cousin Ellyn Soderquist. It sure is wonderful to associate with such nice people and to see them growing and progressing in their lives. We are also on the forwarding list for e-mails from Daniel and Paul, and have received the first two weeks’ worth, which are providing cute insights into their experiences at the MTC and their development at missionaries and as twin-less personalities.

I overdid with some exercises on Friday, that left me with an aching and stiff back. I also have been having a tooth ache, that seems to be the result of lost of gum material that exposes a nerve that is quite heat and cold sensitive. Thank goodness for Ibuprofen that helped me get a good sleep last night.

No comments: