Monday, October 4, 2010

Weekend getaway not of our choice

We cut short our stay at the Missionary Reunion because I was experiencing some symptoms that we were afraid were those of a heart attack. I had quite a bit of and increasing discomfort in my shoulders, upper back and upper chest. We went to Emergency at the Altaview Hospital which was just a few miles away from the chapel where the reunion was being held and announced that I might be experiencing a heart attack. That seemed to get their attention and they got me right in and started some tests. The enzyme test that indicates heart issues was not conclusive but showed the possibility of a heart attack. They eventually decided that I should transfer to the cardiac unit at the new IHC hospital (IMC) in Murray, so I got a nice ambulance ride there at about 11 pm. Wendy followed us over in the car.

They initiated some more tests and since, I suppose, things seemed stable, they let us go to bed at about 1:30 am (there was a sort a bed for Wendy on the far side of the room).

By morning, the cardiologist on duty, Dr. Walsh, let me know that they had probably ruled out a heart attack, and about about midday Saturday, he came back saying that I had pericarditis, an inflammation of the sac that surrounds the heart. He thought the cause was viral. He thought the inflammation would go away in about a week. He also identified that there was some concern with my kidneys. They started giving me an anti-inflammatory drug through my IV and also upped the amount of fluid being given intravenously. The medical staff kind of lost interest then and let us watch conference. They let me be released Sunday afternoon, so we were able to come home and host the family for dinner on conference evening. I have a prescription for a heavy-duty Ibuprofen to take for a week and made a commitment to be sure to drink 6-8 glasses of water daily. (I think I have gotten a little careless and let myself get dehydrated, especially as I have increased my exercise level recently.)

Thankfully, this episode was not more serious than it was, that I am feeling better, and that we were able to have the joy of being with our family as planned on Sunday evening.

1 comment:

Valerie Chandler said...

Grateful that this was not more serious, although sorry that it threw wrench in enjoying your mission reunion. These things come at such inconvenient times for you.