Monday, June 27, 2011

Roses and more roses








Our roses winter-killed and we thought we might have to pull them all out. I had pruned them down to about 15 inches last fall, but when Spring started to come, all of the sprigs were black. We just left them as they were, to see if something would come up from the lower parts of the plants. After a while some shoots started to grow. Still we didn't know whether these shoots were from above the graft or below. If the latter, the blossoms would be small and ugly. We had to wait until we had blossoms.

We got up the morning after returning from our visit to the Chandlers in Arkansas to the most beautiful display of roses blossoms. All of our roses had survived and were giving us a brilliant display.


The top two pictures are of our peace rose. Peace roses connect in my mind with motherhood, and one Mothers Day I gave each daughter and daughter-in-law a peace rose plant. I hope that some are still producing beautiful flowers. The next five pictures show a rose bed that I planted when I moved to Spanish Fork. It has several varieties,including a Peace and Love, a Barbara Bush, and John F. Kennedy.

The last pictures show a gorgeous display of pink roses at the Provo Temple this week.

1 comment:

Angela said...

very pretty, my roses didn't weather well this year either.