Friday, December 11, 2015

Rock, Tree, or ???

 I have been interested in what makes for successful and rewarding marriages, and have come to the conclusion that men and women have some basic differences that are complementary and that when exercised together in a marriage these differences can have a synergistic result that might be said to create something that is greater than the sum of its parts.  But what are those unique characteristics belonging to men and those belonging to women that might typically contribute the most to the success of a marriage?

I was impressed by a statement Alison made recently in letter to her children, and she gave me permission to share this thought.  She noted that Quin had been traveling for his work and she was happy that he was back home.  She started to call Quin her “rock,” but then amended her statement, saying the Lord is her “rock” but that Quin is her “tree.”

I could think of many ways to elaborate on this metaphor, in terms perhaps of rootedness, shelter and protection, tallness/straightness, fruit production, etc.  Maybe some of the rest of you, especially the ladies, might do better than me.

But with this start, I tried to find a metaphor that could describe how I have been affected and influenced by JoAnn and by Wendy.  My first thought was a window which exposed me to a larger world and one that was richer and more textured and colorful.  Then I thought, not a window, but something that allows me to step out into the bigger, brighter, more interesting world, a door.   But even a door is small and must be opened and closed, so I then settled on, a gateway, a large, prominent, decorous, gateway.  And primary component of this richer world has to do with feelings and loving relationships, and increasing numbers of the latter–friends, children, grandchildren, etc.

What metaphors come to your minds?  And why?

No comments: