skip to main |
skip to sidebar
A record-setting year for books as gifts


This Christmas set the records for me for the number of books I was given as gifts, eight, counting two puzzle books. I look forward to a rich year of reading. Thank you all.
Doctrine and Covenants Reference Companion, edited by Dennis Largey and Larry Dahl. This is a very large encyclopedic dictionary of the D&C reference made up of 885 topical entries by top LDS scholars, mostly BYU religion faculty. It has some personal attraction, as we have gotten to know well and appreciate Larry Dahl who is currently serving as a counselor in our Provo temple Presidency.
The American Covenant: One Nation Under God, Vol. II, by Timothy Ballard. This is Valerie’s recommendation. The author is LDS and a retired CIA agent, who presents his research on the spiritual bases for this county, its constitution, and the lives of its founders and leaders.
Dews of Heaven: Answers to Life’s Questions from the Doctrine and Covenants, by Breck England. The author is Franklin-Covey’s writer-in-chief, who presents insights from the D&C about various challenges that are common to persons.
Temple and Cosmos (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Vol 12)
Eloquent Witness: Nibley on Himself, Others, and the Temple (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Vol 17)
I am setting out to do more study of the temple, and these two volumes contain major writings of Brother Nibley about temples.
Act in Doctrine: Spiritual Patterns for Turning from Self to the Savior, by David A. Bednar. The latest book by my favorite general authority.
Legacy of Honor: The Values and Influence of America’s Eagle Scouts, by Alvin Townly. Recommended by Matthew, this book gives stories of contributions to this country by men who are eagles scouts.
Two Sudoku books
I was also able to pull together some things I have written mostly based upon study of the Book of Mormon which have a focus on how the redemptive power of the Saviour is experienced and to present this as a sort of legacy document for our family. I hope my love for the gospel, the Book of Mormon, and for each member of our family is evident.
No comments:
Post a Comment