Here is powerful instruction about the relationship between men and women in the Gospel, that feels good to me. It is by Valerie M. Hudson, writing in the book, WHY I AM A MORMON, (Joseph A. Cannon, Ed., Ensign Peak, 2012, pp. 168-176). Sister Hudson is the Latter-day Saint sociologist that has made a name for herself in her publications analyzing the dangers in societies that have imbalances where numbers of men cannot find women to marry (Polygamous Moslem countries, and India and China where a disproportionate number of girl babies are aborted).
In this book chapter, Sister Hudson affirms the eternal importance of marriage and families: “marriage is forever; we will have children forever; and the life of being a woman married to my sweetheart and having children forever is the life that will bring me the fullest joy in the eternities–as it has here on earth.” (p. 171)
She uses the story of Adam and Eve in the Garden and the two trees to explore the ideal status of men and women in marriage as co-equals with differing contributions to make to each other and their family. The first tree (Eve’s contribution) symbolizes the doorway leading from heaven to earth, while the second tree (Adam’s contribution) symbolizes the doorway back to heaven. The fruit of the first tree given by the daughters of God is birth and nurturance to the family. The Church is the gift given to the family by priesthood holders through the ordinances and covenants of the Gospel. “Priesthood is a man’s apprenticeship to become like his Heavenly Father, and women have their own apprenticeship to become like their Heavenly Mother.” (pp.174-175)
“[The Gospel] ...restores not only right relations between man and God but right relations between men and women, making it the strongest, most progressive force for women in the world today.” (p. 175)
Race, Priesthood, and Temple Blessings--
3 months ago
2 comments:
What an awesome article! It taught me things I never knew before and put together pieces of things I thought I knew.
I read it immediately to Rachel and her friend and had a great discussion.
I feel so sure now about my purpose, Quin's purpose, and our purpose together.
Wow!
By the way, that comment was from Alison, not Quin. :)
Post a Comment