Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Dear Christopher

Dear Christopher:
Thank you for the letter. I was really impressed with your hand-writing. It was so clean and clear.
You asked that I tell you of a memory from my grade school. There was a time when Mrs. Berglund, who was my teacher in about the 4th or 5th grade, decided that she would introduce her class to some classical music. She knew that we were all farm kids, and I guess she thought we were all pretty ignorant of the better things of life. She brought some records to play on a phonograph. That was the way that you listened to recorded music in those days.
She started the music. It was a symphony orchestra playing. She asked the class if anyone had ever heard this music before. I raised my hand. I guess I might have been a sort of a Smart-Alec at times. I said, “It is The Toreador Song, from the opera Carmen, by Bizet.” I remember her surprised look, and kids in the class were impressed also.
This music was on a record that my Mother often played in our home.
Love, Grandpa Lewis

Dear Christopher,
Thank you for your letter. You have very nice penmanship.
My most favorite memory from elementary school was during the second grade when I was 8 years old.
My teacher told me it was okay to be left-handed. She helped me with things like scissors and rulers. She showed me how to hold a pencil so that I didn’t have to turn the paper or my arm and hand. Also, the way she showed me how to hold the pencil made it so that the pencil lead or ink didn’t smear on the paper or my hand. I will never forget her kindness and helpfulness. She taught me things that have helped me throughout my whole life. She taught me to do my very best.
Have a great day at school!
Love, Grandma Wendy

1 comment:

Alison said...

I didn't know you were left-handed, Wendy!
Thank you for your nice response to Christopher...