Friday, January 7, 2011

Remembering Ammon League


My assignments yesterday at the Provo Temple gave me lots of times to reflect and to study the scriptures. A memory of the Ammon League came back to me, from the days when our children were all still home. The Ammon League was made up of persons (namely, myself, Alison, Angela, Valerie, Matthew, and Emilie) who were pledged, like Ammon and his brethren, to wax “strong in the knowledge of the truth,” to search “the scriptures diligently that they might know the word of God.” We hoped that through this study and through “much prayer and fasting [that we might have the] spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when [we] taught, [we would teach] with power and authority of God.” (Alma 17:2-3)


In the Ammon League, along with its junior auxiliary Enos’s Eagles (myself, Michael and David, as I recall), we studied the scriptures together on a number of Sunday afternoons. As I thought about this bit of this family lore, I concluded that all members of the Ammon League have remained true to their pledges, and we still “rejoice exceedingly to see” each other, and what adds more to our joy, we each are still "brothers and sisters in the Lord," along with many others we have since added to our fold (Alma 17:2).

Our exemplar, Ammon, was a model of faithfulness, after his conversion. Here are some of the highlights of his exceptional life from the triple combination Index:
• angel appears to A.
• begins preaching the word of God
• with brethren, travels throughout the land
• desires mission to Lamanites
• refuses to be king
• chief among the missionaries
• taken bound to Lamoni
• becomes servant
• saves the king’s flocks
• discerns king’s thoughts
• teaches king
• thanks God, overpowered with joy
• cannot be slain
• ministers to people
• organizes church
• frees brethren from prison
• A’s converts never fall away
• leads his people toward Zarahemla
• is swallowed up in joy
• is provided for through faith
• is a man of God
• A’s faith wrought miracle

I invite comments with recollections of the Ammon League by its members.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

I remember a running joke that since the Enos's Eagles got a cool nickname that the Ammon League should have one, too, and I starting calling it Ammon's Alligators.

Matthew said...

I definitely didn't appreciate Ammon League back then like I should have. What a great blessing to have been able to gather together like that and study the scriptures in a more depth. I think I appreciate what those experiences represent more as the years go on.