




The Deseret News recently reported that “Mormon Mommy” bloggers are being read with interest by a surprising group of non-LDS women (“Mormon 'mommy blogs' getting noticed” by Sara Israelsen-Hartley, Religion News, January 18, 2011; see the origInal article by Emily Matchar “Why I can't stop reading Mormon housewife blogs--I'm a young, feminist atheist who can't bake a cupcake. Why am I addicted to the shiny, happy lives of these women?” http://www.salon.com/life/internet_culture/index.html?story=/mwt/feature/2011/01/15/feminist_obsessed_with_mormon_blogs).Matchar reports that she and several friends and other women obsessively do a daily read of blogs by “Mormon Mommy” bloggers.
“Their lives are nothing like mine -- I'm your standard-issue late-20-something childless overeducated atheist feminist -- yet I'm completely obsessed with their blogs. On an average day, I'll skim through a half-dozen Mormon blogs, looking at Polaroids of dogs in raincoats or kids in bow ties, reading gratitude lists, admiring sewing projects.
“I'm not alone, either. Two of my closest friends -- both chronically overworked Ph.D. candidates -- procrastinate for hours poring over Nat the Fat Rat or C. Jane Enjoy It. A recent discussion of Mormonism on the blog Jezebel unleashed a waterfall of confessions in the comments section from other young non-religious women similarly riveted by the shiny, happy domestic lives of their Latter-day Saint sisters.
“"They have lovely homes, picture-perfect kids, loving, super-attentive husbands, and things seem very normal and calm," writes a commenter named BrookeD, who admits to reading five Mormon blogs daily.
“"I thought I was the only one!!" responds another commenter.
“"THANK YOU," adds a third. "I'm another closet non-Mormon reader of Mormon mommy blogs."”
Matchar tries to be analytical, objective, and even critical, but still has a strong emotionally fascination that she has a hard time explaining.
“But the basic messages expressed in these blogs -- family is wonderful, life is meant to be enjoyed, celebrate the small things -- are still lovely. And if they help women like me envision a life in which marriage and motherhood could potentially be something other than a miserable, soul-destroying trap, I say, "Right on." I won't be inviting the missionaries inside for hot cocoa now or ever, but I don't plan on stopping my blog habit any time soon.”
HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THIS ATTRACTION? I know I love to read the blogs belonging to the Mormon Mommies in our Lewis family.
1 comment:
Familiarity with God's plan premortally.
Post a Comment