A number of years ago, to support my children serving as LDS
missionaries, I wrote a statement about my conviction of the
truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, which included a description of an
experience that served as the beginnings of my testimony of this book:
“In the home, my mother introduced her LDS beliefs to me and my sister
Dorothy. During one of the times when she gathered her children by her
to talk of religious things, I had an experience which provided a
foundation for my spiritual development in life. I was about age 7 or 8
at the time and remember sitting by my mother leaning against her arm
while she read aloud from the Book of Mormon. She paused and commented
that the Lord has promised that he will testify to persons through the
Holy Ghost of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and the Gospel of
Jesus Christ. She asked if we had ever felt such promptings of the Holy
Ghost. I started to reply, "No, I don't think I have felt any of these
things", when the most unusual feeling came over me. A warmness and
excitement came into my heart that I had never experienced before and I
felt a sort of a thrill go up and down my spine. I came to recognize
these feelings as being similar to that described by two disciples of
the Lord in the Luke 24:32, and am convinced that the Holy Ghost had
witnessed to me at that young age of the truthfulness of the Book of
Mormon.” (p. 4, My Testimony of the Book of Mormon, Pt. I. in my little
book for family: “Nearer to God; The Book of Mormon and the Good News
of Christ”)
I would like to add some details to this account. As
I have reflected more upon this experience, I believe that my mother,
to introduce her children to her religious convictions, used both the
Book of Mormon itself but also a small book for children written by
William A. Morton. The latter combined two volumes written many years
before by Brother Morton: “From Plowboy to Prophet” (originally
published in 1912) and “Mother Stories from the Book of Mormon”
(originally published in 1911). I now believe that my mother had been
reading from the latter rather than the Book of Mormon itself at the
time of the experience mentioned above.
I found the following
quote interesting, suggesting that these Morton books were widely used
by Church families with children in the early 1900s and also showing
that President Hinckley felt he had been blessed by the Mother Stories
book, similar to my experience:
"While sorting through some books in
my library recently, I came across a little volume whose back was broken
and whose leaves were loose, a condition that came from much use by
careless but loving hands of small children who treasured that volume
from which our mother read to us. The book is MOTHER STORIES FROM THE
BOOK OF MORMON by William Albert Morton. It was first published about
1911. "As I thumbed through the pages, there came into my mind pictures
of cold winter nights when we sat about the stove in our home, our
mother reading to us about the great characters of the Nephite record.
"This was my first introduction to the Book of Mormon. Reading from the
Book of Mormon itself occurred when we were a little older and could
understand the more difficult language and the more complex thread of
the story. It was in those initial circumstances that there developed
within us a love for this sacred volume and for other wonderful pieces
of writing that she shared with us." (from “The Wondrous Power of a
Mother” by Gordon B. and Marjorie P. Hinckley, quoted in a description
of the book Mother Stories From the Book of Mormon, in an internet
advertisement of a current reprint, accessed October 6, 2017)
William A. Morton was a convert to Church, being baptized as a young man
in 1890, in Banbridge, Down, Ireland. After his conversion, he
and his wife and child immigrated almost immediately to Utah. He was a printer and typesetter for the Deseret News, and authored a number of books on religious topics. He served two missions to Great Britain, from 1906-1909 and again from 1921-1923. During the latter time, he was editor of the Millennial Star. He died in 1930 in Salt Lake City at age 64.
In
about 1944, when I was 6 or 7 years old, our family was living on our
little farm in Glenwood, Washington, my dad working long hours in a
logging job and also tending the farm. Our country was absorbed in the
fighting of World War II. We were generally attending a little
Bible-oriented Protestant church in Glenwood, and were quite isolated
from the LDS Church. The nearest LDS church was in Hood River, Oregon, more than
an hour’s drive away, but impossible to attend due to gasoline
rationing and other things. We had no nearby members of the Church. My
mother, maybe from a subscription she was maintaining of the Church’s
Improvement Era magazine (predecessor to The Ensign), happened to see a
note that Deseret Book had re-published two little books for
children that William A. Morton had written many years before. (I
assume that her mother Kate may have had a copy when my mother was a
little girl.) My mother wrote to her father, Frank Davenport, who was
now widowed and who was recently retired and had moved to Utah and was
now living in the home of his son Franklin. She asked if he would buy a
copy of the newly re-published Morton book for her. In the front of
this book she obtained, my grandfather has written in his beautiful
script:
To Hazel
From Papa
Provo, Utah 3/24/44
I have this very copy of the book in my library.
After Wendy
and I were married, there was a day when were talking about her family
heritage and she happened to mention the name of William A. Morton. One
of his daughters was Annie Hanna Morton. I learned that Wendy’s
father, Kenneth Borg, had lost his mother when he was two years old.
Kenneth’s father, Andrew Moroni Borg, was remarried shortly thereafter
to Annie Hanna Morton. Therefore Annie Morton Borg, daughter of William
A. Morton, was Wendy’s grandmother figure on her dad’s side of the
family, during her growing-up years.
As I think about this
connection, I am powerfully moved by the thought that Wendy has in her
genealogy a man who wrote a little book for children, that my mother was
inspired to go to a lot of trouble to seek out, while living in a
situation far removed from the influence of the Church, and read this
book to a little boy, who gained from this experience a foundational
testimony of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon and of the Lord’s
Church.
Race, Priesthood, and Temple Blessings--
3 months ago


No comments:
Post a Comment