I recognize the importance of regular study of the Book of Mormon, which can be an anchor to our faith in may ways. But what reading strategy is best? I have worked with several approaches that give different benefits:
1) Read the book all the way through from front to back. The tried and true method.
2) Read the book all the way through from back to front (a chapter at a time, starting with Moroni 10, then Moroni 9, etc.) This approach has two advantages. First, it cuts you loose from the chronological setting for the chapter, and therefore may give a little more focus to the message; 2) It emphasizes the end of the book instead of the beginning. We all know First Nephi, because we have started reading the book many times. This put emphasis on the destruction of the Nephite civilization, Mormon and Moroni’s doctrinal messages, the Jaredites, etc.
3) Study the book topically and write short articles about what you learn. For me, writing consolidates learning and gives me ownership of the insights.
4) Read select passages over and over until you have exhausted any insights (the rabbinical approach). This is my current strategy. I have made a list of major doctrinal pieces that occupy the majority of whole chapters or more. Then I read the entire passage, then I read it again. And again. And again. I follow-up on ideas that the reading suggests in other writings. I make notes on insights received or I may do the short article thing. I don’t leave this passage and go to the next, until I have exhausted my interest in this one.
This is my list of major doctrinal chapters in the Book of Mormon:
1 Ne 8, 10-15 The tree of life–vision of the Gospel plan, atonement
1 Ne 22 Discussion of Isaiah’s prophecies of latter days
2 Ne 1-4 Lehi’s prophecy and blessings to his children
2 Ne 6 Jacob’s prophecy of the Jews
2 Ne 9 Atonement and resurrection
2 Ne 10 Jacob’s prophecy of latter days
2 Ne 25 Nephi’s prophecy of the Jews and Christ
2 Ne 26 Nephi’s prophecy of Christ’s visit to the Americas/Priestcrafts
2 Ne 27 Book of Mormon prophecy
2 Ne 28-30 Conditions in the latter days/rejection of the Book of Mormon/restoration of
Israel
2 Ne 31 The strait and narrow way/first principles
2 Ne 32 Holy Ghost
2 Ne 33 Nephi’s last testimony
Jacob 2 Chastity
Jacob 3 Pure of heart
Jacob 4 Christ
Jacob 5-6 Allegory of the olive trees/prophecy of the House of Israel
Mosiah 2-5 King Benjamin address
Mosiah 12-16 Abinidi--The Ten Commandments/how salvation comes/redemption through
Christ
Alma 5 Spiritual rebirth
Alma 7 Prophecy of Christ/repentance/redemption
Alma 9-14 The coming and mission of Christ/repentance/redemption/priesthood
responsibilities
Alma 26 Ammon’s gratitude
Alma 29 Alma’s desires
Alma 32 Faith
Alma 33 Worship/prayer
Alma 34 Repentance/prayer
Alma 36 Repentance and forgiveness
Alma 37 Missionary work
Alma 38 Alma’s testimony/salvation
Alma 39 Sexual sin/repentance
Alma 40-42 Atonement/mercy/resurrection
Helaman 13-15 Samuel’s prophecy
3 Ne 12-14 Sermon at the temple
3 Ne 15-16, 20-21 Israel and the last days
3 Ne 18 Sacrament
3 Ne 27 The gospel, atonement
3 Ne 29 The Book of Mormon and the last days
Mormon 7 Invitation to the Lamanites of our day
Mormon 8 Book of Mormon coming forth/reactions and warnings
Mormon 9 Miracles and signs
Ether 3 Faith and perfect knowledge
Ether 8 Secret combinations/freedom
Ether 12 Faith, hope and charity
Moroni 7 Faith, hope and charity
Moroni 8 Baptism of little children/First principles
Moroni 10 Spiritual gifts/Sanctification
Race, Priesthood, and Temple Blessings--
3 months ago

No comments:
Post a Comment