Thursday, January 28, 2016

Stage 8 challenges

I am about to violate the basic rule for meeting of the challenge of psycho-social development Stage 8.  This is my current Stage, as per Eric Erikson’s writings.  He was a prominent psychoanalyst of a few years ago who developed a human development model called The Eight Stages of Man that I learned in my graduate studies.  I am now in the Stage #8, which is the stage for old age.  My responsibility is to develop wisdom and avoid despair and disgust, so that my descendants may have a model for aging gracefully and not be afraid of this stage of life.


But a week ago, I experienced what seemed to me at the time to be one of the very worst indicators of the aging process, a colonoscopy.  And through the 5-day preparation period I developed a lot more despair and disgust that wisdom.  It is so awful!!!  But then I suppose that the child birth you ladies experience is infinitely more stressing, so shouldn’t feel sorry for myself.

Aside from the results being totally positive, no polyps and no cancer, the only other bright side was that when I awakened after 45 minutes or so under the anesthetic I felt SO RESTED.  I had had to get up at 2:45 am to start the last stage in my prep, having about 3 hours sleep before that.  Then up continuously until we left for the Drs., with the procedure at about 8:15 am.  Now it was 9 am. 

I said to Wendy. “That was the best night’s sleep I’ve had for months.  I should do this anesthetic thing again.”

Someone suggested that this is how morphine feels.  I don’t know.........

No comments: