Sunday, May 27, 2012

Priest quorums: the good and the bad (there wasn't any ugly)

In my new assignment in the Stake YM presidency, over the past three weeks, I have now visited all seven ward Priest Quorums. Here are some things I have found:

1) The overall quality of the youth seem high. Although I found some difference in the groups depending on how affluent the wards were. There were three or four real sharp groups in newer areas and somewhat more diverse groups in the three “old Spanish Fork” wards.

2) I was impressed that nearly all of the adults working with these young men, were capable and caring men.


3) Three of the seven lessons were taught by the young men; three by adult advisors; and one was a discussion on various topics led by the bishop because the regular instructor was out of town.

4) All of the lessons were effectively done. One of the boy-led lessons, using the PREACH MY GOSPEL manual, was especially good. He had Priest’s read and interpret various well-chosen scriptures, bore his testimony at key times, etc.


5) I observed that none of the seven quorums allowed time to invite members to report on Duty to God project results or scriptural study insights, as encouraged by general authority and general YM Presidency instructions.


6) None of the quorum meetings was conducted using a written outline; rather they seemed to run these quorum meetings “by the seat of their pants.”


7) There was quite a lot of variation across the wards in how much responsibility for conducting the meeting was taken a youth leader as opposed to an adult adviser (give welcome, select persons for prayers, explain coming activities, etc.).

What should I do next?

No comments: