Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Guess what we are giving for Christmas

While on and recovering from our mission, we gave money for Christmas. This year we have repented and have gone back to my favorite gift--books.

I take pride in having children and grandchildren who are "readers." And I encourage each of these persons to develop a personal library of books, especially of church books, and to become acquainted with their contents.

My mother, Hazel, helped establish reading as a proud family tradition. She was constantly reading. She was not generally funny, but I do recall a comment she once made that still amuses me. At one time, as she was reflecting on her values and abilities, she said, "One of my talents is that I can sit down beside a whole pile of work and enjoy a good book."

I hope all of us can follow her example.

No comments: